Monday, September 2, 2013

An English guest

We had our English guest to stay last week and look what she bought us!  Yum.  These are my very favourite.  The question is: which packet do we start with? 


I met Kate when she moved into the apartment below me in Dhaka, Bangladesh in 2006.  She would be teaching Year 2 and I was teaching Year 4 at Grace International School.  We loved being neighbours: coffee, shopping, meals, and movies were regular features of our time together.  We really had all the perks of being flatmates - without having to share bathrooms.  We took many trips around Bangladesh and toured Cambodia and Vietnam together.  After I left, Kate visited me in New Zealand and we had a road trip around the upper north island.  We also flew over to Australia for a few days.   Oh! The places we have seen! 

Our time together in Bloomington was fleeting - a mere four days - but it was a chance for her to get the feeling for small town America and meet BabyBird.  And for me to have a lovely time with a lovely friend.  Pool time, coffee, wine, and cake was a feature of her visit.

It has been nearly five years since we saw each other.  I think it's amazing that a friendship can survive so fully intact despite the distance of so many countries and such a long time.  It makes me wonder how I ever feel lonely, when I consider the friends I have made (and kept) over the years.

Here we are on Boxing Day when she visited me in NZ.


And this is the night before she left Bloomington. 

2 comments:

  1. Love this post for two reasons. One, I love Percy pigs and when my inlaws went to London they brought me back a big stash just like yours (I had to share mine with the kids quite a bit unfortunately) and secondly, it's so nice to see Kate! She's looking great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is, isn't she? Kate knew you might be jealous.

    ReplyDelete