Saturday, September 28, 2013

Apple picking

We took some international students apple picking today.  It was a very fun activity to do at this time of year while the weather is so ideal.  It seemed quite American too.  When I think of baking with apples, I think of Americana, probably from seeing apple pies on various TV shows, movies, and books.  We actually had an apple tree in our backyard back in New Zealand, but I have never been to an apple orchard before.  

There were so many varieties, it was really fun eating a few and just tasting a few and climbing up the trees to get them.  Mostly I sent these guys up there, but there was a moment when BabyBird wasn't in her carrier and I could hop up too.  It gave me that feeling of being in my childhood house and climbing trees again.  I hope BabyBird experiences that often.   Jonathans were my favourite, and the only new variety I remember (new to me).  I also got quite a few granny smiths which I have always thought were best for baking.  BabyBird will be on solids soon so I want to tin* some apple sauce for her. 

I filled a peck which I found out today is equal to 10-12 pounds, 32 medium apples, 3-4 nine inch pies, 7-9 quarts, and 4 quarts canned.  A quart in Annabel-speak is a quarter of a gallon.  A gallon is around 2 two litres or approximately 4 litres.  Maybe a little less.  

It was the fall festival at the orchard so there was also a craft fair and various venders selling lunch.  I bought Jbird a gallon of apple cider, one of his favourite drinks. 

*tin=can




No comments:

Post a Comment