Saturday, January 19, 2013

A fresh starter, a fresh start

For my birthday, I requested some items to help my sourdough bread endeavour including a dutch oven from Jbird, a bread knife from my sister, and my very own copy of Tartine Bread from Alana.  I totally recommend this book if you want to start baking country bread like a true baker.  

Since my last disgruntled post, I've been developing another sourdough starter.  I made this one from the powdered yeast again.  I figure I will work with that until I can get a natural starter working.  This morning I baked my very first loaf in the dutch oven and it turned out delicious. With a dutch oven, I keep the lid on for half of the baking which allows the loaf to rise in its own steam.  This, along with the heat conducted by the cast iron, replicates a baker's hydrated oven.  After about 20 minutes baking time, the lid is taken off to create the delicious crust.   I wanted to make sure the starter was working so I made a plan white loaf but I will return to trying to perfect my whole wheat loaf next time. 


What do you think?  See the large holes in the crumb?  I should have left it in longer but I had a student here when I was taking it out so I couldn't think about it.  Jbird and I have already demolished nearly half of this loaf. 

No comments:

Post a Comment