Saturday, November 16, 2013

Warm soup on a Fall night

We had lentil soup and wine on this cool Fall night.  Jbird's sister came home and it felt friendly and relaxed.  Although it didn't look very appetising, the soup was a hit and I love that I could throw it together in about 10 minutes.  It reminded me of the very early months of our marriage when I made it often.  In fact, it was this lentil soup that brings this story to mind.  It's  easy, yummy, and seemingly very healthy so I thought I'd share the recipe.  I had Jbird pick up some crusty bread and white wine while Soph and I played with BabyBird. 

Ingredients;
A splash of olive oil
1 Tblspn curry powder (whichever kind you have in your pantry)
1 Tblspn chopped garlic
1 Tbspn grated ginger
1 chopped onion
1 cup chopped carrots
1/2 cup chopped celery
1 or 2 bay leaves
1 cup brown lentils
1 litre or so chicken stock
salt and pepper to taste
chopped cilantro (coriander if you're in NZ) to garnish
sour cream to garnish

Heat olive oil in a heavy pan/pot (I used my cast iron pan).  Add onion, cook until it starts to soften, stir every now and then.  Add curry powder and cook one minute, stirring with a wooden spoon.  Add remaining vegetables and cook with onions to distribute curry flavour.  Add stock, lentils and water as needed.  Bring to a boil then lower heat and simmer covered until cooked.  Around 40 minutes.  

Blend with an immersion blender.  Serve hot with bread, garnished with cilantro and sour cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment