Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Turkey day with family

When we first came to America I was amazed that people would ask me if I was going home for Thanksgiving.  I wanted to ask them really? Me?  There are so many problems with your questions.  Can you spot the problems?  If not, let me point them out to you.  1) NZ does not celebrate Thanksgiving and 2) it takes me at least 20 hours to get home by plane (and a $2000 airfare) and it's only a 4 day weekend.  If you get Friday off.  So no.  I will not be going home.  

But you know, in those days I was dreadfully homesick and would have liked to go home for good. They just didn't realise who they were asking, it's just the common question to ask at this time of year.

Actually, all our Thanksgivings here in the States have been really fun.  One year was spent in Texas, another in Virginia Beach, and two at my friend Ashley's place since we've been in Bloomington.  One of those years we had two meals at two different people's places.  Another we had three.  It really is a killer meal, and has convinced me to forever more say "yes" to only one invite.

This year is the first year that I can reply Why yes! I am visiting family for Thanksgiving!  We have driven north five hours to Kalamazoo to have Thanksgiving with my brother, his wife, and her family.  My brother is very happy to have his niece around, she has grown so much since he saw her last. 

No comments:

Post a Comment