Friday, December 6, 2013

Nutcracker-licious

IU presents the Nutcracker every year but I only made it out to see it for the first time tonight.  It brought back memories of the last time I saw it, nine years ago.  Syls and I had flown from New York City to London on the red eye the night before and been completely overwhelmed looking for the theatre while passing all sorts of incredible London sites for the first time.  We arrived at the theatre feeling tired, disoriented, and hot.  The result was that I slept through nearly the entire performance.  Every time I woke up I felt confused about the storyline and would allow myself to drift off to sleep again.  

Tonight was another story.  Instead of arriving right on curtain call, I mistakenly arrived an hour early so I could enjoy people watching while sitting under the giant Christmas tree in the foyer.  I managed to read the synopsis before the performance began so I could easily follow the story line.  My view in London had been peering over heads from the back of the audience.  Tonight I was on the top balcony and could see the entire stage and all of the action.  I loved hearing the well known music.  It's such a magical and Christmassy ballet.  Perfect for getting me into the Christmas spirit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment