Wednesday, November 20, 2013

The last of the garden

We had enough snow to kill the plants which hadn't been able to stand the recent cold.  Luckily I remembered to grab the last of the green tomatoes the night before, only missing a few.  Jbird and I spent just an hour clearing away the debris left behind.  I didn't bother to prepare it like I did last year with Mum, I don't think I'll have such a garden next year as our plot is too small and annoying.  Do you remember?  It was one of the most fun days with Mum.  We made lasagne layers of paper, leaves, compost, and soil, laying down seeds I had collected from the garden that year.  Some lovely sunflowers grew out of those seeds but nothing much else survived.  Without proper protection from critters, planting seeds doesn't really work in this garden.  I swear a couple of bunnies have been living behind the big corner bush.

The last of the tomato crop has been fun.  I made two batches of green tomato salsa.  It's sugar-free so the flavour isn't very intense but it's nice to use as a chutney.  Unfortunately I made a spicy batch and a not very spicy batch and the spicy batch felt TOO SPICY so I ended up combining them both.  Pretty boring of me, I know.  I guess I was doing things in between BabyBird naps and was too rushed to think about it and retaste.  Anyway, I have jars and jars of the stuff so I'll have to give some away.  Next I'll make spaghetti sauce and soup out of the tomatoes as they turn red.

No comments:

Post a Comment