Thursday, May 30, 2013

Would ya look at you grow

Would you check out my meyer lemon tree? You may recall I bought it while in Baltimore and it has been as yet unsuccessful at producing any fruit.  Last year I was donated a massive pot when someone left  town and through the winter it started growing flowers which I cross-pollinated.  From those flowers, five small fruit are growing.  The poor thing gets a bit banged around in this wee apartment during the winter and I'm always glad when it gets warm enough to be able to keep it outdoors.  I don't know what we'll do next winter.  Perhaps I'll get a winter covering for its' trunk and pot and leave it below the overhang outside our apartment.  Or ask a friend to store it in their garage.  

Since I've had it outdoors again this year, it has been thriving.  There are loads of flowers and more baby fruit developing.  A few of the fruit are yellowing before they're even nearly big enough so I suspect they won't make it the long-haul.  I think the tree is probably too busy growing to provide its' whole system with the nutrients it needs.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment