Saturday, May 11, 2013

A rather Kiwi meal

It occurred to me as we were eating tonight that I'd made something for dinner that had been a feature of both my and Jbird's childhoods.  Well, maybe not Jbird's as his family were vegetarian for many years.  Anyway, it definitely felt like home.  I have been including a lot of red meat in our diet to keep my iron up.  Steak is readily available here but I'm off grilling it because of the carcinogens when it blackens (nobody wants to encourage cancer).  Instead, I've taken to searing the meat and then placing sliced onions and carrots on the bottom of the pan, adding a splash of water and some other flavouring like Worcestershire sauce or red wine vinegar, putting the lid on and leaving it to stew.  If you leave it long enough, the onions caramelise and the meat becomes lovely and tender.  Served with smashed sweet potatoes and steamed veges and we've got the quintessential "meat and three veg" Kiwi meal.  Justin swallowed his down so quickly last night: I'm a fast eater and he finished his faster than me so it must've been a goodie.

No comments:

Post a Comment