Tuesday, April 30, 2013

I took it back

I know I have spent lots of time complaining both in person and on this blog about the state of coffee in this fine country but yesterday a coffee I bought was so bad, I returned it and got a refund.  Not once but twice.  I haven't been drinking any coffee, not even decaf, in an attempt to keep my iron stores high for child birth and all the bleeding that may occur.  However, I had slept badly, had lots of annoying little errands to run that day, and I have been carrying around a coupon to this coffee establishment so I thought I'd treat myself with a decaf cappuccino.  The experience didn't start off well when they told me if I wanted to drink it from a ceramic mug, I'd have to buy one for $10.  This led me to settling on having it in a cardboard cup.  Ugh. 

My belief is a cappuccino should be a 1:1:1 ratio of an espresso shot, steamed milk, and frothy milk, in a fairly small mug (around 5 fl. oz).  The espresso shot should come out loud and clear with this ratio.  I often find it served here closer to a 1:1:2 ratio.  A latte on the other hand should be 1:3 espresso shot, steamed milk.  If I could order a drink with the ratio 1:2 (espresso:steamed milk), I think I would be happiest.

On sitting down to relax and enjoy my treat, I found that the froth was full of air bubbles and the first sip tasted of frothy milk without even a hint of espresso.  I am used to this, I think Americans use over-sized cups for their cappuccinos and feel the need to fill them up with milk froth.  I tried folding the espresso into the extensive amount of milk.  To no avail, I still could not taste the slightest hint of coffee!  I didn't want to sit there drinking warm milk.  Trying not to act outraged, I decided to ask them to make me another one.  I was told the coffee was very old as nobody drinks decaf and it probably wouldn't make a difference.  Huh.  They suggested I buy a straight caffeinated coffee.  I pointed out my belly.  Unhappily, I settled on getting an American decaf coffee (i.e.: coffee from the pot that has been sitting around for untold lengths of time).  I decided that if I added half and half to it, it could still be creamy and delicious.  Unfortunately I was again disappointed this time with a bitter/burnt tasting coffee.  Returning this, I got a refund and decided that a cup of coffee was not to be my pleasure that day and I would wait until bubba is born and make my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment