Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Confusing seasons and a garden type update

I know I have complained extensively about the never ending winter but it seems that summer has arrived.  Which is confusing because we never really had a spring.  One day it was snowing and I was still wearing my winter coat, hat, and gloves.  The next day I put my shorts on and I haven't taken them off since.  I wonder if this means Jbird will avoid the intense allergic reactions he has to spring here in the States.  In retrospect, the long winter meant that Jbird was allergy free for his big week of recitals - in the past he has been so ill from them that I didn't know how he'd get through the concert. 

Despite the loss of spring, the spring flowers are out in full bloom.  Even mine are out, though they only receive afternoon sun so it seems to have taken them forever to grow and are perhaps the last to bloom in all of Bloomington.  I had been worried they were frost bitten and wouldn't bloom at all but I've learnt this year that the thing about daffodils is they survive everything.  One of them was even bitten by a bunny which frequents my garden when it was just a bud and it still opened up.  As a half flower.  Impressive. 

Here's a picture of our spring daffodils and yellow tulips. Can you see the famous meyer lemon tree from these posts: post 1, post 2, post 3?  He's growing one tiny little lemon and has a few buds that I've cross pollinated.  I'm hoping for a few more than just one lemon.  So long as I can keep the animals and insects away.  That tree has been a lot of work.  I don't know where I'll put him next winter, he takes up a lot of room and there'll be another little person to pull off the buds.


No comments:

Post a Comment