Saturday, July 27, 2013

There is a light at the end of the tunnel

Wouldn't you know it?  BabyBird seems to have found her sleep!  Today she napped almost as much as she did when she was brand new.  I have been thinking about not swaddling her any more.  We were taught to swaddle her at the hospital and for a long time she seemed to really need it.  But I have recently learnt of the developmental risks for strength that come from being bound up so often so I was anxious to stop.  These photos are how I found her after a nap recently.  She was becoming really good at freeing her limbs which seemed to wake her up.
"Look at what I can do...are you going to pick me up yet?"
Since her purple crying sessions started at three weeks she has really struggled to nap during her cry-ee time and even in the early afternoon.  Well. Today, without the swaddle in the way, she found her left hand fingers and sucked away at them, while her right hand stroked the top of her head.  Every now and then she would have a little wail, and then suck her fingers furiously. Eventually I thought she'd wailed enough and I went in to move her to her swing only to find that she was wailing in her sleep.  Eventually she moved to a deep sleep and the wailing stopped altogether.  Then during the late afternoon, she slept without even really wailing except for a five minute cry as she tried to get to sleep. And wouldn't you know it? She slept during her most difficult hours from 7:30 until 10.  We were at bible study so she was in her car seat, but she normally stays awake that entire time, only dozing off towards the end.

This is one happy mama.  Sleep is such a marvelous thing and it has been my focus for such a long time, I feel nothing but relief.  Perhaps her 'colicky'/purple crying days are nearing an end?  Whatever the case, I've managed to embrace it since I wrote that last post, it no longer leaves me feeling so fraught.  

"I will only sleep in my chair"

No comments:

Post a Comment