Friday, July 12, 2013

Crying while she nurses

Poor wee BabyBird just had a frenectomy to correct her lip/tongue tie.  We decided to get it for her because nursing still causes me some pain and is tiring for her.  There are also later repercussions for her if she doesn't have the procedure such as dental and speech issues.  I was born with an upper lip tie and it must have torn naturally when I was a child as I haven't had any problems.  I have scar tissue on my upper gum. I was the only one to make my mum bleed when she was nursing me.

Just having the doctor show me the exercises we have to do to keep her tongue and lip separated from her gums was awful for me so I sent Jbird in to hold her during the procedure.  He said he'd never seen her cry so hard.  When she came out to nurse with me she was still and silent.  I guess she was in shock.  

She's a grizzly wee thing right now, crying while she nurses.  She's also a little bit drooly as her tongue isn't used to being so free so it's producing extra saliva.  We were excited to see her tongue extend further out of her mouth than it ever has before and her first latch felt wonderful.  Now her mouth is a bit swollen so it just feels how it always has.  Hopefully we can be good about keeping up with the exercises so that they remain unattached.

1 comment:

  1. You poor things! It sounds awful! We'll keep you all in our prayers for speedy healing and patience for the exercises.

    ReplyDelete