Saturday, June 29, 2013

Just a little bit of Anne

When I was in primary school we would visit my Grandma every Monday night after my sister's piano lesson and have fish and chips for dinner.  My Grandma would tape a show for us to watch together after dinner, the viewing of which was not without drama.  The video tape player was not in the best of repair and would often record the show with a fuzzy stripe along the bottom, or various other ailments including a snowy image or inverted colours.  We ended up inheriting this video player - we'd never had one - and it was a fixture of the family sitting room for years to come.  There were many nights when we were disappointed to discover the show hadn't recorded when it was meant to, or the tape simply wouldn't play.  We did manage to get through quite a few movies and shows this way though, serialising them over several weeks.  I especially remember Dr. Zhivago for it's traumatising opening mob scene and the wintery cold of somewhere-in-Russia.  

I've just finished reading Anne of Green Gables and have procured the DVD from the library.  I read the books as a child and watched the t.v. series at Grandmas house. I'm excited to see what it will be like to watch without that fuzzy stripe along the bottom of the screen and the odd missing episode.  

1 comment:

  1. yay for Anne, I have fond memories of reading the Anne books at grandmas too. I wonder what age would be best to start my girls....

    ReplyDelete