Monday, December 18, 2017

We're Home

...and I'm not sure how it happened.  January 2017 took us from Indiana to Omaha, Nebraska.  While there the two options for our next visa fell through, one of which would have taken us to the Gulf Coast, Mississippi.  Mississippi?  I often wonder what life would have been like had we lived there.  The is always followed by a sense of relief.

Omaha treated us well.  Life was quiet yet very happy.  We lived in a cute little blue house with a huge yard.  There was snow in the winter, wild violets in the spring, and fireflies in the summer.  I couldn't tell you about fall as we left before it came.  We had a snake in the basement, black chipmunks in the yard, baby eagles drinking from our paddling pool.  Jackson turned 2 and Rori 4.  We had new friends, some we may keep forever.  I went to the gym often and started teaching the children to swim.  Rori had a sweet violin teacher but she didn't go to preschool.   Justin and I joined a community orchestra for the first time in the States.  Our family bonded as we spent all day every day together.  

While visiting Misssissippi to buy a house, we received the news that that door was closed and we would be moving back to New Zealand.  It was a great shock but we sold and gave away most of our things, put our piano on a ship, and drove back through old haunts to visit friends on a Grand Farewell Tour.  

Back in Auckland, we are living in my mother's basement apartment.  The ocean (Manukau Harbour) is across the road, Mangere Mountain right behind us.  This is an idyllic place to live while we find our feet.  

It hasn't been easy.  The children have shouted a lot and so have we.  I spent term 4 teaching New Entrants at a school just a ten minute commute away, and Justin is at a Music academy teaching in a similar position to the one he had in Omaha.  Our hours don't coincide but our children have their parents. Finding myself back in familiar territory was at first terrifying.  One day at a time I found my feet, remembered where I had been.  I am now looking forward to teaching Year 3 at the same school.  I am so grateful to be teaching again.  Ultimately, I am grateful to be home.  

No comments:

Post a Comment