Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Clearing it out

My freezer is a sight to behold.  At any given time offers you berries, vegetables, soups and stews, popsicles, icecream, fish, beef, chicken, bacon, coffee, ice cubes, pastry, waffles, and ginger.  All in the frozen form. 

It has been full to bursting for a while now and I noticed that I was only using the things I could find on top of everything else - certain parts of my freezer had become a 'no man's land'.  It started when Jbird discovered ten opened packets of frozen vegetable.  Then I defrosted a soup and remembered making it at least six months ago, maybe more.  I could taste freezer burn on the berries when I put them in a smoothie.  What had been a treasure trove was turning into an antique yard sale - or something similar.  

I decided it was time to clear it out and start again.  I stopped buying meat (and frozen vegetables!) to force myself to dig to the bottom of that black hole and it's been a fun journey.  For example, frozen salmon had become a trial to use after a few botched meals so I had been reburying in the abyss it whenever I came across it.  This past week we had a yummy fried salmon steak one day with a fresh and full salad, and salmon and mushroom fettucine carbonara two days later.  Today was chicken and dumpling barley soup and we had ham and pea soup for lunch on a rainy Sunday.

Some of you may baulk at freezer burn.  Though it wasn't so nice on the berries which weren't cooked, it hasn't been noticeable on anything else.  My internet research tells me it's not dangerous! What does the inside of your freezer look like?

No comments:

Post a Comment